I’ve been talking to some other moms lately about their favorite products for their little ones. Rarely, do I ever hear anything about baby oil. Maybe it’s because it’s just not that “fun” of a product, or maybe because the trends have changed, or maybe it’s because of when people think of the term baby oil, they automatically go to the common brands like Johnson & Jonson that contain many things that aren’t oil at all and don’t want to touch the stuff (which was honestly my opinion as well at first). And then maybe people just wonder – what the heck do we actually need this for anyway? Won’t it just clog my baby’s pores? I’ll just use lotion…
Well, after testing out a bunch of products (that I both loved and really disliked) and gaining some more knowledge, I’ve decided that I LOVE baby oil! For a lot of reasons. But not just any baby oil, and definitely NOT the common brands people think of when we say baby oil. For me, it must contain a base of 100% natural oils. Sure, added essential oils, extracts, and other beneficial ingredients are great, but nothing else is needed except oil. Real oil.
What is the purpose of baby oil anyway?
Baby oil was originally used to coat the baby’s skin to protect it from the elements and block any moisture from escaping. As well, it was/is marketed to sooth chapped and irritated skin and diaper rash. It was (and still is in many brands) made from mineral oil. Mineral oil is used in many ways. However, it is NOT natural (completely synthetic) and not the most safe option! It is a petroleum product that is easily available which is why it is used so often and sold so cheap.
So….if regular brands using mineral oil aren’t really that good, why even bother with an alternative when I can just use regular lotion? Well, I will tell you my opinion (from personal experience and a little research).
Reasons to use ALL NATURAL baby oil – OFTEN!
- It is a FANTASTIC massage oil for you baby. Massage releases endorphins and helps sooth and calm babies when they are upset. Massage also helps you connect with your little one and fosters a great relationship! It will also help them sleep better – which we all know we want!
- Natural baby oil is a great moisturizer and helps relieve dry, chapped skin. And it spreads easily!
- It helps distribute amazing vitamins into your baby’s skin. You can mix it up with different types of oils to get a variety of benefits.
- By adding certain essential oils & extracts, you can actually help heal and sooth common discomforts like rashes, eczema, and more!
- Cradle cap will be less of an issue when you apply natural oil. It can help soften the dry flakes and make it easier to brush off gently without ripping off skin before it’s ready.
- It’s completely safe (and edible!) So you don’t have to worry if your baby accidentally gets some in their mouth (although you do not want to purposefully feed it to them of course).
- It will not clog pores especially if you use lightweight oils like grapeseed, apricot, jojoba, sunflower…
- You can use any leftovers for your own massage with your special person…. 😉
- Any leftover oil you buy you can use to cook with! NO WASTE!
If you have any other ways you like to use it, please put in the comments section!
Ok, so now that’s done let’s get to a basic recipe! Remember, YOU are in creative control! Be flexible, switch it up and add different oils and see what you can come up with! And as always, if you do not want to make your own, you can purchase affordable products right here on my site.
This is post #3 in my new mom & baby series, so check out the rest!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, in which I get paid a commission if you purchase through these links.
*This recipe is intended for personal use only. All posts and recipes on kiragray.org are copyright and may not be shared, duplicated, or used to sell products. Please enjoy respectfully!
What you need:
- 4 oz container with treatment pump or flip cap.
- 4 oz Natural Vegetable Oil(s) *any combo! I used grapeseed, apricot kernel, sun flower, and jojoba.
- 2 drops calendula extract (optional) *great healing properties – which is why I use it
- 4 drops of Essential oils of choice (optional) *I prefer lavender or chamomile for babies.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Using a funnel, pour into container.
- Apply to baby!
Thats it! SOOOOOOO SIMPLE! Really, why not do this?
I love reading comments and having you share your ideas too! Look forward to hearing from you below…
- 4 oz vegetable oil(s) of choice (I love grapeseed, apricot kernel, sunflower)
- 2 drops calendula extract
- 4 drops essential oils of choice (optional) *I love lavender and chamomile for babies.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into a container (using a funnel)
- *This recipe is intended for personal use only. All posts and recipes on kiragray.org are copyright and may not be shared, duplicated, or used to sell products. Please enjoy respectfully!