Over the next couple months, I’m going to be doing a new mom & baby series, starting off with this super easy-peasy diaper balm. Yeah!!!! Becoming a new mom in the past few years, I’ve had a lot of adjustments to make and gone through (as many of you know) a TON of changes. Well, I’ve learned a few things and also been able to test out many products on the market. I’ve decided to make my own versions of my favorites and share them all with you! Can I hear a “heck – yes”!
If you are a new or soon-to-be mama, you are going to love this! You will also love this if you attend baby showers! AWESOME gift ideas! People LOVE special and thoughtful (not to mention GREAT QUALITY) gifts! Bonus is you can brag about these being all natural and handmade! Score!
I do have a few diaper cream recipes. Some with beeswax and some without. This one is a basic, easy to make recipe without beeswax. What does it matter? Well… personally, I like both. But some people want to get as simple as possible and have the cream soak right in, and others want the added protection and benefits of beeswax (can be somewhat of an alternative to petroleum) and have more of a barrier effect. The choice is yours! I will be posting a version with beeswax soon so stay tuned….
As always, you can purchase ready made products right off my site if you do not have the desire, time, or resources to make your own. Here’s a more complex version of this diaper balm.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, in which I get paid a commission if you purchase through these links.
*This recipe is intended for personal use only. All posts and recipes on kiragray.org are copyright and may not be shared, duplicated, or used to sell products. Please enjoy respectfully!
What you need:
- 2 oz raw shea butter (approx 1/4 cup)
- 2 oz coconut oil (approx 1/4 cup)
- 3 tsp zinc oxide (non-nano is best)
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil
- 6 drops essential oils (good options: tea tree, lavender, frankincense, chamomile) *any combo
- 3 drops calendula extract (optional) *read your bottle – the amt varies
- 1 drop chamomile extract (optional) *read your bottle – the amt varies
- double boiler (or a large pot & smaller pot)
- kitchen scale
- 4 oz glass jar
How to make it:
Step 1: Weigh out your shea butter & coconut oil and put in your double broiler. If you do not have a double boiler (like me) than use a glass measuring cup (I love this as it makes it easy to pour out & into the jar when finished). Melt completely but DO NOT BOIL.
Step 2: Remove from heat and cool in the fridge until it is no longer very warm (20+ minutes).
Step 3: Add all your value ingredients (zinc oxide, vitamin E oil, essential oils, extracts). Make sure to STIR REALLY WELL. Whisking is best. You do not want to have any clumps of zinc oxide (it likes to settle on the bottom) or your protection will be great in some places and lacking in others.
Why add all these things after the mixture has cooled and not while still warm? Well that’s because over heating can take away some of the healing properties and benefits of the oils and extracts. And we don’t want to do that do we?
Step 4: Transfer to glass jar and let it cool completely before putting the lid on.
- 2 oz shea butter (approx 1/4 cup)
- 2 oz coconut oil (approx 1/4 cup)
- 3 tsp. zinc oxide (non-nano is best)
- 1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil
- 6 drops pure essential oils (any combo: lavender, tea tree, frankincense, chamomile)
- 3 drops calendula extract *read label on your bottle for exact amt.
- 1 drop chamomile extract *read label on your bottle for exact amt.
- Using a double boiler, melt the shea butter and coconut oil together. Mix well.
- Put the melted mixture in the fridge to cool for about 10-20 minutes. Until it starts to thicken but is still a liquid.
- Remove from fridge and add all value ingredients (extracts, essential oils, vitamin E oil, and zinc oxide). Whisk well making sure there are no clumps!
- Transfer to 4 oz glass jar and let it cool completely.
- *This recipe is intended for personal use only. All posts and recipes on kiragray.org are copyright and may not be shared, duplicated, or used to sell products. Please enjoy respectfully!